Thursday 20 September 2012

Dredd 3D


I couldn’t help but cry out in metaphorical anguish when I first heard the news of yet another remake/reboot coming this year, this time in the form of 2000 AD comic-turned-film character Judge Dredd. I also couldn’t help but role my eyes when I watched the trailer. In fact, my expectations were so low that I never even thought I’d waste my money bothering to see the film. Ultimately it would've been an absolutely foolish decision as Dredd 3D turned out to    be the most positive surprise of the year so far.

Dredd 3D, stars Karl Urban as the titular character, a law enforcer in a dystopian future where such are given the right to not only arrest and throw the guilty in prison, but also the right to sentence and even execute the guilty as they see fit. Dredd takes on new recruit Cassandra Anderson, (Juno’s bff Olivia Thirlby) an orphan and potent psychic on his latest mission to stop the terrifying and criminally insane “Ma-Ma”, (Lena Headey) a powerful drug dealer and former prostitute who has forced ownership over one of the most dominating and prominent apartment complex’s in the district.

Cassandra Anderson (Olivia Thirlby)
The film achieves everything it needs to within its 95 minute run time. Although there is little to no explanation as to who Dredd actually is, the charismatic figure commands the attention of the audience, as well as the characters on screen with his domineering nature. Stylistically the film bares a number of similarities to Ridley Scott’s 1982 Blade Runner- a bleak future in which the world is dark, dank and in complete and utter turmoil.

The pairing of juggernaut Dredd, who is as unforgiving as he is brutal and pixie sized Anderson, who looks like a living Final Fantasy character is perfect. In fact, whole cast and action scenes come together brilliantly throughout. But what comes as the biggest surprise overall is the fact that it is only one of two 3D films I have witnessed in existence with actually great 3D scenes. 

I can't wait to see this again.

A 

No comments:

Post a Comment